Current:Home > StocksTens of thousands march in London calling for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza -Capitatum
Tens of thousands march in London calling for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 18:38:40
LONDON (AP) — A protester was arrested Saturday in London on suspicion of inciting racial hatred, as tens of thousands of people turned out on central London’s streets for a pro-Palestinian march calling for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza.
The National March for Palestine, which aimed to finish in Whitehall, central London, was the latest in several huge protests staged in the British capital every weekend since the Israel-Hamas war began last month.
Saturday’s protests came on the second day of a four-day cease-fire that has allowed critical humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip and given civilians their first respite after seven weeks of war.
The Metropolitan Police said it arrested a man on suspicion of inciting racial hatred “near the start of the protest.”
“Officers spotted him carrying a placard with Nazi symbols on it,” police said.
Officers handed out leaflets at the march that sought to clarify what would be deemed an offence, after the force faced pressure from senior government officials to be tougher on alleged displays of antisemitism at the protests.
“Anyone who is racist or incites hatred against any group should expect to be arrested. As should anyone who supports Hamas or any other banned organisation,” said Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner Ade Adelekan.
“We will not tolerate anyone who celebrates or promotes acts of terrorism – such as the killing or kidnap of innocent people – or who spreads hate speech,” he added.
The force said 1,500 officers were deployed to police the march.
Earlier this month the U.K.’s former interior minister, Suella Braverman, came under heavy criticism when she described pro-Palestinian protesters as “hate marchers.” Critics accused her of inflaming tensions, and she was sacked by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak soon after.
In Paris, a march staged for the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women drew both pro-Palestinian and pro-Israeli activists as well as other groups.
Some protesters, waving Palestinian flags and posters reading “Free Palestine,” walked in a show of solidarity with “Gaza and Palestine’s women who are being murdered.”
A group of Jewish women also joined the march to denounce crimes committed by Hamas, including rapes and killings, chanting, “We are women, we are proud, we are Jewish and we are angry.”
Meanwhile, some pro-Palestinian protests were organized over the weekend in France’s major cities including Strasbourg, Lyon and Marseille.
Hizb-ut-Tahrir, the Islamist group, also protested Saturday outside the Egyptian Embassy in London. Tens of thousands of people are also expected to take part in a march organized by the Campaign Against Antisemitism charity on Sunday to show solidarity with the Jewish community in the U.K.
veryGood! (6473)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Marcus Freeman explains why Notre Dame had 10 players on field for Ohio State's winning TD
- DeSantis campaign pre-debate memo criticizes Trump, is dismissive of other rivals despite polling gap closing
- Biden says he'll join the picket line alongside UAW members in Detroit
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- AI is on the world’s mind. Is the UN the place to figure out what to do about it?
- Man sentenced to life again in 2011 slaying of aspiring rapper in New Jersey
- When does 'Survivor' start? Season 45 cast, premiere date, start time, how to watch
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Inside Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Disney-Themed Baby Shower
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- EU commissioner calls for more balanced trade with China and warns that Ukraine could divide them
- France’s Macron to unveil latest plan for meeting climate-related commitments in the coming years
- After summer’s extreme weather, more Americans see climate change as a culprit, AP-NORC poll shows
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- The Sweet Reason Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Don't Want Their Kids to Tell Them Everything
- Archaeologists unearth the largest cemetery ever discovered in Gaza and find rare lead sarcophogi
- RYDER CUP ’23: A look inside the walls of the 11th-century Marco Simone castle
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Archaeologists unearth the largest cemetery ever discovered in Gaza and find rare lead sarcophogi
Saints’ Carr leaves game with shoulder injury after getting sacked in 3rd quarter against Packers
Surprise! Bob Dylan shocks Farm Aid crowd, plays three songs with the Heartbreakers
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Biden says he'll join the picket line alongside UAW members in Detroit
Costco recalls roughly 48,000 mattresses after over 500 customers report mold growth
Settlements for police misconduct lawsuits cost taxpayers from coast to coast